Stanley Jewkes

Hey everyone,
So many of you know I volunteer in an assisted living home. My mom is the hair dresser there and I am her assistant. Well today we had to go to a man named Stanley Jewkes's room to cut his hair. While we were there we learned some very interesting things about him.. After discussing the fact that he is almost 99 here is how he and my mom's conversation went:

"I am turning 99 in October."
"My birthday is in October too!"
"Are you creative? All people born in October are creative."
"Yeah I guess so."
"Well you see that picture right there? *points to his wall* I made that"

The picture he was pointing at was of the Malaysia Olympic Stadium. Today I met the man that designed not only that but also the Singapore Olympic Stadium.

Later he went on to tell us a story about how he fought in The Battle of Singapore. He told us about how the boat he was on, the S.S. Kuala was bombed repeatedly until it had completely sunk. A group of people, including himself were able to jump of the boat and swim or use life boats to Indonesia all while avoiding the continuous bombs being dropped by the Japs. When they arrived on the slick rocks of the uninhabited Indonesian island the Japanese continued to drop bombs and shoot at them. The survivors hid under huge trees while the remaining nurses tried to help the dieing and wounded.

Later in his life he went on to fight in the Indian army and writing a book(which I am planning on reading) called Humankind? This man has been through so much in his lifetime. Meeting someone that did so many amazing things in his lifetime was quite inspiring. It makes me want to go out and make a difference in the world.

Clean Week Update:
Because I started it on the weekend of my vacation it didn't really work. So I'm starting over. I know it sounds silly. But today was pretty good. Millet toast for breakfast, a couple of health bars as snacks, and chicken with ranch for lunch :) But for the rest of the week I am going to be SUPER strict.

1 comment: